You know those jobs – the ones where you scratch your head and wonder if this is actually something that someone gets paid to do? Your second thought might be “How can I get a job like that?” For most of us, a job means something traditional either working in an office or a business or telecommuting from home. Here’s a list of unusual jobs and their often surprisingly high salaries.
Use the HTML below to embed this graphic
Infographic created by: Payday One
Adventurers Only Need Apply
- An Australian cook on a submarine can earn more than $187,000. 
- Even with only 6 years of experience, a cook makes as much as a junior admiral. 
- While a cook’s base salary is just under $60,000, this position is “critical to the Australian Navy” and warrants multiple bonuses and allowances. 
Oil and Gas Diver
- Job tasks include inspecting and installing rigs, welding, or laying pipe. 
- You’ll need to work on an oil or gas rig for weeks at a time. 
- A diver in this “growing field” can earn as much as $80,000 per year. 
Airplane Repo Man
- Ever wonder what happens when someone cannot pay for the plane they just bought?
- Repo men earn 6% to 10% commission on the “resale price” of planes they find. 
- A repo man or woman can earn anywhere from $10,000 to $900,000 per plane repossessed. 
Crop Duster Pilot
- Though this job may sound like something from the Alfred Hitchcock flick “North by Northwest,” crop duster pilots can earn $80,000 per year. [2,3]
- While the job is well paid, it is not without risks…
- Dodging electric wires 
- Flying under telephone wires 
- Skimming the roofs of buildings 
Crime Scene Cleaner
- Not for the faint of heart but necessary for police investigation work. 
- Those with a weak stomach should not apply. 
- Crime scene cleaners
- Clean up a victim’s blood from a crime scene 
- Find bodily fluids 
- Hunt down the murder weapon and key evidence 
- Crime scene cleaners salaries start at around $35,000 per year. 
Desk Jobs With a Twist
Ethical Computer Hacker
- You have heard of hackers, right?
- So-called ethical hackers find glitches and weaknesses in the computer systems of businesses. 
- These hackers can earn over $120,000 per year 
Voice Over Artists
- Those voices on the radio or on movies have a familiar ring to them, don’t they?
- Experienced voice actors can earn more than $300 for about 5 minutes of finished audio work. 
- Over the course of a year, some can earn between $50,000 to $80,000 per year.